Saturday, July 22, 2006

Pocketful of memories..

Family reunions constantly dole out a nostalgic extravaganza for the young generation. It’s marvelous to know that our parents had their fair share of frivolity & tomfoolery while growing up. For as long as I can remember my father has never squandered a photogenic opportunity. Any get-together or jamboree irrespective of the size he was always clicking away. The outcome was generally amateurish snapshots nevertheless after all these years when we glance back at those photographs we are overcome with emotions. We gaze at how we have grown physically, shed a tear for those who have passed away and try to reminisce the moment when the shot was taken.

Old Photographs generate mix responses within people. Some are grateful for what they have accomplished, some ponder over how age has caught up to them while others just desire to return to better times. Its frightening to accept crude reality; perhaps we are embarrassed or just not courageous but the perpetual truth is that “Its never too late”. Sometimes an old photograph is all you need to make you remember that this is not how you intended to end up.

Now that he is retired, my Dad plans to sort out his photograph collection, which is very tedious work.

“Why do you fancy doing it?” I asked him.
“It’s been a wonderful life. This my feeble attempt at reliving it again” He replied.

How would you arrange your collection? Would you sort them chronologically or would you segregate those that invoke various emotions within you? Would you tear those that are spiteful and prefer those that are pleasant?

Our own pocketful of memories..

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I would sort all my photos chronologically first, then by "theme" or "events." hehe

I have photos that bring back bad memories... The ones that bring back REALLY bad memories, I've ripped those up and thrown them away lol, but otherwise I keep all.

Karachiite said...

I've already done it all..

I've sorted some chronologiclly, but there are few that I've segregated from the rest, and let them have their own album..