Saturday, July 15, 2006

Let Peace Prevail..

As the Israeli attacks against Lebanon intensifies, a thought goes out for Lebanese people trapped in this latest onslaught. I called up my closest Lebanese friend, Hassan, only to find out that he too is in Lebanon with his family. His mother was delighted to hear from me but at the same time distraught at the state of affairs in South Lebanon. Hassan & me became good friends during my third university Semester as we both shared a few subjects. I remembered coming back to his house and how warmly his family had greeted me, a complete stranger, as one of their own. The walls of his room were adorned with various photographs of Hezbollah Resistance Movement. He was very passionate about the Hezb and always dreamed about fighting amongst their ranks. I asked his mom for his number in Lebanon; it was good to hear his voice again and assuring to know he was safe. We spoke about the situation and how close to the bombing he was. I asked him to come back as it was the sensible thing to do.

He replied defiantly "You want me to desert my country in its hour of need, don’t you know me Man!"

It seemed like Dejavu, it felt I was still in his room and was he lecturing me about the movement. I smiled and begged him to keep safe. I hope this senseless conflict comes to a quick end as innocent people are bound to suffer most. Hezbollah have attacked an Israeli warship this will lead to serious repercussions that would cause useless civilian casualties.

Allama Hassan Tarabi was also assassinated in Karachi. He was approaching his house in Abbas Town when the bomber approached him and detonated his device. Police said the attacker was killed in the blast and parts of his body were found at the scene. I hope this doesn’t lead to a sea of sectarian violence that has besieged the Metropolis city in the past.

No comments: