Sunday, July 30, 2006

Burnt..

29th July 2006, I should be awarded for surviving the hottest day in Dubai this year. It was an excruciating and utterly uncomfortable experience. No matter what the Met Department says the temperature was well above 45 Degrees and the humidity levels were soaring. A strong gush of hot air was blowing up a sandstorm. Visibility was low and the immense heat intensity was piercing the eyes. Proper Protective Clothing was imperative. It was just my luck to be out there with no shade in sight. I was clad in semi-Bedouin attire; white cloth covering my head and sunglasses protecting my eyes. I was perspiring buckets and regularly in taking water. It was difficult to stand, let alone work in this torment.

I took a sip of water and handed the bottle to my colleague Shashi. He held the bottle briefly and collapsed instantly. I yelled for help. I immediately removed the cloth covering my head, moistened it and tried to cool Shashi. I tried to revive him back to consciousness and slightly panicked, as he was not responding to my voice. As more people came, we picked him and ran towards the closest visible vehicle. Aslam Bhai, an experienced Forklift Operator, had seen the incident and he came running towards us with a pack of ice. We got him into the back seat and Aslam bhai told us to strip him and then he began to apply the ice pack to Shashi’s groin and armpits. He asked us to keep his leg elevated and ordered the driver to proceed quickly to the hospital.Its strange how quiet you become when you are helpless. Weird thoughts start crossing your mind and you try to maintain your composure. I just prayed that nothing terrible happened to shashi. I hated myself for not going along with him to the hospital. I had my work obligations *grr*

Three more people apart from Shashi collapsed due to extreme dehydration or Heatstroke. We dispatched them swiftly to the hospital and continued slogging. When you are in the logistics business the work never ceases, as “Time is Money”.

I think I have over tanned myself and need a few days to recuperate.

I wish it would rain so as to ease our agony.

I wish the air-conditioning went kaput in the High-rise buildings so these tyrants who exploit the poor labor can savor this living hell.

I checked up on Shashi today. Him and the others are doing well. They have earned a well-deserved rest. I heard on the Radio that August is going to be hotter. Temperatures are expected to reach above 50 Degrees. It’s going to be a tough month… I hope I don’t get Burnt.

2 comments:

MnM310 said...

aslam'alaykum...i haven't had time to check your blog for a coupla days now and i was surprised to see that so much had happ'd! SubhanAllah. I pray that your co-worker is ok..and I know that no matter how much you think you're prepared on how to react in a time of emergency, you'll always feel helpless. Keep outta the sun homie!

salaams,

~ madiha ~

Itsfarsh said...

Thank God he has fully recovered..

When in Dubai you can never avoid the summer heat just learn to live with it..

Someday I want to ice skate on a frozen lake in Mystery, Alaska.. till then i will keep out of the sun :)