Sunday, July 16, 2006

Long walks & Pirates..

I strolled along the beach with Emily, her words ringing in my head.

HEART, we will forget her!
You and I, to-night!
You may forget the warmth she gave,
I will forget the light.

I have successfully convinced myself that I have moved on and the days of my youth & adolescence are over and I have matured. I have taken that step away from my world of dreams into the realm of reality. I often ask myself if there exists a shred of optimism within me. Sure, I am optimist like any other person, cynically optimist :)

My brother lost his job recently. One moment he was swiftly climbing up the corporate ladder, the next moment he was being laid off. His eventual coerced resignation has shocked him but he has taken it within his stride and is more determine than ever. The closest person to me is my brother and vice versa. There has never existed any sibling rivalry between us and we readily confide our deepest thoughts & worries to each other. It pains me to see him so depressed but I am confident that he will end up with something better.

I wanted to cheer him up so I dragged him along to see the new “Pirates of the Caribbean “ movie. It was highly recommended by someone whose opinions I begun to value a lot. As we sat through that torture we wanted it end abruptly, it was horrific. When you find out at the end that what you've just seen is merely the overture to yet another sequel, you can't help wondering what more can be extracted from this franchise. Gold, me hearties, more gold! Although there are memorable bits and pieces, the new “Pirates of the Caribbean” is a movie with no particular interest in coherence, economy or feeling. When we walked out of the cinema we remembered “The Goonies”; now that was an amazing movie.

9 comments:

widad said...

I wonder... Who in their right mind would recommend such a lame movie?

Itsfarsh said...

I reckon the person took advantage of my gullibility and send me off to critique the movie for their personal satisfaction. I should have given it a high rating and let them experience the same torture they put me through. What can i do I am too much of a honest gentleman :)

Here is another quick movie review : Superman Sucks more...

Sarah said...

I LOVEDDD "The Goonies" !!! Oh my God, that chubby kid was the BEST!!!!

As for PotC, I like it! I still haven't seen the new one, though. And Superman sucks too?! :o That one got good reviews. I think you are just harsh with your criticisms man!

Itsfarsh said...

Sarah as far as superman goes.. There's no spark. No life. A chuckle here or there but no romantic tension, no wit, no inspiration.

The Fat Kid in "Goonies" was Chunk..This is my best part from the movie :

[the Fratellis are interrogating Chunk]

Francis Fratelli: Tell us everything! Everything!

Chunk: Everything. OK! I'll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog... When my mom sent me to the summer camp for fat kids and then they served lunch I got nuts and I pigged out and they kicked me out... But the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.

Jake Fratelli: I'm beginning to like this kid, Ma!

widad said...

And you expect me to watch that...!

Itsfarsh said...

I highly recommend it..

I am the Movie buff or did you forget?

Sarah said...

Oh my God, Farsh!!! That's my favourite part in the movie too! And my sister's!! lol, that's seriously the best part ever!!! Soooo funny, makes me laugh everytime! Great movie!

MnM310 said...

omg..The Goonies is my favorite movie! I said the same thing to my sister after watching Pirates. Remember the asian kid...the one who made all the gadgets?! He was the coolest! I just learned that my little cousins haven't seen it..so this summer ima educate them! :p

Itsfarsh said...

I have "educated" many cousins & other people about the brilliance of "The Goonies" and they have expressed their gratitude. Couple of years back there was a rumor that a sequel was being planned. Personally, I am against a sequel for if it doesn’t live up to its expectations it will certainly discourage people from watching the original. It has been 21yrs since the first one came out and in my opinion it is an absolute classic.