Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Discover Me.

Three Bottles of Mineral Water, Two cans of energy drink and I still felt dehydrated. Sitting in an air-conditioned room I was perspiring incessantly. “Why is it so Hot” “Isn’t the A/C not functioning,” I kept shouting. They figured the only way to shut me up was to send me home hence I was given the day off. My body ached, as I lay in bed, unable to sleep and dazed. Gypsy Kings, Nusrat, Abeda all had their chance but to no avail; none of them soothed my restlessness. I turned to read and stumbled upon this..

I ’M nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?
Then there ’s a pair of us—don’t tell!
They ’d banish us, you know.

How dreary to be somebody!
How public, like a frog
To tell your name the livelong day
To an admiring bog!


On reading the above lines one fathoms the central theme declares being a Nobody is a luxury incomprehensible to the dreary Some bodies--for they are too busy keeping their names in circulation, croaking like frogs in a swamp in the summertime. You might call it a playful attempt at defending the kind of spiritual privacy some people favor.

But to ME this poem is about discovering someone who is comparable to you. Together, the two nobodies can enjoy each other's company and their shared anonymity. As a pair, they aren't really “nobodies” anymore. It’s about the satisfaction of having a friend who understands you and accepts you as you are. This contentment is more important than being admired by a lot of people or being in the "in" crowd.

I think all of us are nobodies till we discover what we really searching for..

No comments: