Monday, July 31, 2006

Daftness Personified..

Daft: An new inclusion to the list of terms used to describe me.

Am I foolish if I refuse to confirm to my cultural stereotype.

I have cynically wagered my freedom against another resolute soul who refuses to settle down. Albeit we both apparently have different reasons for our existing solitary states we both concur that whenever we get hitched its probably going to be due to compromises. Maybe I have bitten off a little more than I can chew but I am certain like all prior wagers I shall emerge victorious. I must agree that losing would be quite expensive on the pocket.

Are we not more responsive on the Internet? Do we have a better opportunity to voice are views knowing full well that the overlaying anonymity will not allow people to judge us on our caste, color, creed or other physical attributes. The said anonymity also serves as a dilemma during establishing a relationship over the Internet, as one can never be sure how genuine the other person is. Internet Relationships as beautiful as they are, there is always a bridge to cross if you are going to make them work. Some falter during the crossing others are too timid to take the risk.

Don’t all relationships carry some amount of risk? Maybe that’s the proverbial thinking of someone suffering from relationship phobia. It’s a very frightening term, which holds deep implications. Sometimes you try to fool yourself by setting high criterions and lofty ideals but isn’t that an approach of denying your irrational fear.

I was suggested many times to check out marriage sites. I feel flattered that people care about me and think it’s in my best interests to settle down. Do they feel I am an anti-social hermit, a cultural anomaly or as lately so eloquently pointed out just “DAFT”.

I always wonder what leads to people posting on such sites. Is it shear despondency, desperation or a last attempt to finally get lucky?

4 comments:

neuroticnoon said...

Salaam,

"Am I foolish if I refuse to confirm to my cultural stereotype"

NO, your a stronger person than most, most just go with the flow so to speak, your not "daft" as they describe but those who are just blinding doing as they are told are the daft ones.

Are we not more responsive on the Internet?

yes, theres no one checking up on you, the anomity can be quite liberating as your the one with the paint brush in hand.

I woudln't call it a phobia, i.e worrying about relationships, i mean we all have our worries and concerns, and that just normal, i just think people just like to taunt and force others to just go head first into marriage and are in effect trying to make you feel like your worrying unnecessarily or maybe they feel that by worrying your prolonging your self from going ahead with it all, either way what they're doing is wrong.

i hope you don't think of yourself as unlucky although the whole world might be saying that to you, hey when it happens it happens, so when you say "finally get lucky" well its a bit baseless becuase after all your never not lucky, heck luck isn't even applicatble here!

ok i'll stop waffling and saying things that don't make sense!

kh

Itsfarsh said...

Neuroticnoon:
I don’t know how many times have I reiterated that I loathe my culture’s perception on marriage. There comes a certain age for guys & gals to be married off and if we are not settled in due time then either we are deemed defective or plain unlucky...

Your waffling makes more sense than some of stuff I am hearing lately.

MnM310 said...

asalam'alaykum wr wb...

hahaha..dude i think that you should definitely NOT be pressured into getting married. I find that when one is pressured, one ends up acting in haste and most likely will have regrets in the end.

however, like you mentioned, when people ask about your marriage-less state, they're usually asking out of love for you. I've found keeping that lil mantra in my head keeps my sanity as well. lol :p

relationships online..mmm i dont know...i've heard a lotta mixed things about it. Some work and some, well, crash and burn to say the least. So its all naseeb in the end i guess *shrug* :p

Don't despair...and hey would it be soo bad if u lost the bet? You mite actually win something greater. Allahu alim.

~ madiha ~

Itsfarsh said...

Don't despair...and hey would it be soo bad if u lost the bet? You mite actually win something greater. Allahu alim.

You are right but i will have the lost rubbed into my face for always and eternity :)