Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Let Go..

My 17yr old cousin got HIS ears pierced; my dad smiled and said nothing.

If I had done that when I was 17: such a rebellious and vulgar misdemeanor would unquestionably depict my mutinous intent against the endearing Captain of Our House.

It’s Extraordinary how women have these innate maternal instincts but for men fatherhood is a learning experience. Confounding Enigma to every father is how to direct his authoritarian stance and let it be known that he is the BOSS. MOST Men as fathers follow a leaner learning curve; there is the initial pragmatic dictatorship where their utterance is law, followed by the partial democracy where the offsprings are allowed limited speech and finally over the years the obstinacy recedes..

Growing up there are moments when difference of opinions compel you to sit infuriated & enraged in dark solitude constantly reminding yourself that no matter what happens you are going to be a more IDEAL father to your children; you will try to develop a more broader, understanding relationship. We all have been there? We all have hated our Fathers? Personally, in that spur of the moment I have had harsh thoughts, foul utterances and maybe sometimes I had gotten a bit carried away..

But when I look back at those moments now I smile at my foolishness, certain things have dawned on me as maturity gently placed its hands on my shoulders. His Actions scornful as they might have appeared to me were in reality expressive of his harmonious, caring nature. What I alleged to be incarceration was in fact his shield protecting me against the perils that encircled me. My Father, like all our fathers, wasn’t God Gifted, he was simply doing his best to shelter & lift me; like me he was learning too..

Learning to someday eventually let go..

1 comment:

widad said...

Most peeps chill as they get older. That and the fact that it's his nephew not son!