Monday, September 18, 2006

Rise like the Phoenix

He has decided to settle for something that is least befitting his caliber, education & experience…I am hurt. He appears optimistic but I know it’s a farce inside he too is devastated.

Dubai is weird place; no matter how long you reside here you are still an expatriate. Loss of employment would mean automatic cancellation of your resident permit. Two-Three months is all the time allotted to unearth a new employer or you are asked to leave.

Two months back he lost his job. It’s been a tough two months for him. I was always proud of his determination to never compromise on the nature of job he aspired. I could never picture him grasping at any job out of desperation or sheer necessity; I thought he would be loyal to the high standards he has set himself and endure these turbulent times.

I have made awful career choices, but I am content with where I stand. It had given me immense joy knowing he was better off.

“Minor Setback” he says and smiles.

It was never the fear of the residence permit that made him concede but rather internal pressure from his peers. The most devious form of pressure where words arent spoken but such an ambiance is created where you intrinsically sense what is desired. Choice or the fake sensation that you have one evaporates. You are annexed and so are your dreams.

Sibling Rivalry has never existed between my brother and me; with us it’s always been sibling camaraderie.

I hope he rises like the phoenix and soar to higher grounds..

3 comments:

StrivingSoul said...

I hope he does too..I guess its better to view it as a minor setback as anything else would be too depressing. The Lord works in mysterious ways, you never know something even better than he had before may be waiting just around the corner for him.InshaAllah.

MnM310 said...

inshAllah he'll have better things ahead of him. I feel that setbacks, hardships, and difficulties only make us stronger. Theres a rumi quote that i recently read in a book that comes to mind...

Every heartache and suffering that enters your body pulls you to the Promised Home.

I think its awesome you and your brother are more like friends than competitors...or even if you were competitors, @ least you have that sort of friendship where you can be there for each other. MashAllah its a rare thing in siblings these days :D

salaams,

madiha

widad said...

Inshallah, he'll get just the job he's looking for. It's a minor set back. I guess it depends how you look at it; half full? half empty?